Saturday, November 14, 2009

How does college work in Ireland please answer if you're Irish, go on, it'll tale only a second)


How does college work in Ireland please answer if you're Irish, go on, it'll tale only a second)?
K I'm a citizen of Ireland and all but haven't lived there for 9 years, and I'm going to college there (hopefully) but don't know how college works. I can't ask my dad because he grew up in Longford and never went to college. So, how do I apply and stuff?
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You apply through the CAO office (http://www.cao.ie/) {Central Applications Office). Usually you are awarded a certain number of points according to your Leaving Certificate results (second level qualification in Ireland, sort of equivalent to A-levels). If you haven't done a Leaving Cert the equivalents are here - http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=scoring . After that it's just a matter of finding a course that you think you can get enough points for. Most bachelor degrees are three years, science and engineering tend to be four years. Ummm, what else? Trinity College Dublin is probably the most recognised university outside of Ireland but I'll put in a recommendation for UCC (University College Cork) just because I think it's great. Not sure what else you need to know really?