Friday, August 21, 2009

Can I use a british passport to work in Ireland


Can I use a british passport to work in Ireland?
OK..I was born in Canada and hold a Candian passport. My parents were actually both born in England. If I apply for a british/UK passport can I move to the Republic of Ireland and work and live as long as I want? I read somewhere that because they are all part of the EU that anyone with an EU passport can work anywhere within the EU countries. Does that count if I get a UK passport and want to live in Ireland?
Other - Ireland - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yes you can, and it is a lovely country to be in. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did
2 :
first of all you are entitled to a UK passport, which makes you a UK citizen. Second as the UK is part of the EU you are entitled to work and travel, study, vote, in any other EU member state such as Ireland or france, germany etc. Third even if the UK was not part of the EU the irish and brittish governments have had an argeement for many years that allowed a citizen of either country work in another, and this includes the republic. So you should have no trouble. Just apply for the passport first. One thing i just thought off is Dual citizenship. I am not sure if you can have dual citizen ship ie canadian an UK. You should check this out by ringing the irish embassy in canada and explaining your situation, dont worry they are only glad to help.
3 :
Yes you certainly can stay and live in Ireland permanently. For 2 reasons. 1 because the UK is part of the EU. But also because Ireland and the UK also have their own common community travel area zone. You are even allowed to live in Ireland and claim social welfare and benefits because you have a UK passport. Enjoy your stay in Ireland.
4 :
yes you are allowed to be here for as long as you like and as far as i know you are allowed dual citizenship. i have two passports and i've had no trouble. hope you enjoy it here. stay south (munster). its nicer there.